Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned programming in the arts, culture and recreation across our 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto's waterfront. For more than 40 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world by curating over 4000 events annually, from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design to sailing lessons. There is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre, year-round.
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned programming in the arts, culture and recreation across a stunning 10-acre site at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront.
For more than 40 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world by curating thousands of events annually across its ten-acre site from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft & design to sailing lessons. There is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre, year-round.
Position Title: Seasonal Educator, Waterfront Explorations
Manager – School Visits
Manager – School Visits,
Education Officer – Visual Arts,
Education Officer – Urban Studies and Waterfront Explorations,
Seasonal Coordinator, Waterfront Explorations
Type of Employment: Contract (0-5 days/week; April 27-June 27)
Summary of Function:
Located at Harbourfront Centre, School Visits is an innovative field-trip centre that provides hands-on,
curriculum-based learning experiences through multidisciplinary programs. Within the School Visits
portfolio, Waterfront Explorations is a unique spring program offering both on-land and on-water
activities related to Toronto’s urban waterfront. We are currently seeking up to 8 individuals interested
in a teaching career to join our 2019 Waterfront Explorations team. Teaching responsibilities include a
combination of Visual Arts and Urban Studies programming to students of all ages (K-Grade 12)
· Deliver workshops to students of various ages from visiting schools;
· Responsible for set up, execution and clean up before and after programs;
· Organize the structure of workshops, including material to be provided in order to
present the lesson;
· Monitor progress of students, provide assistance and encouragement, and pace
workshop to meet students’ needs;
· Execute all programs to the highest standard of teaching excellence, ensuring inclusion of all students remains a top priority.
Programming · Prepare lesson plans based on existing resources and exemplars available for
· Participate with co-workers in research, development and writing for urban studies programs to reflect annual changes in our 10 acre campus.
Administration · Ensure storage areas are clean and consumable materials are replenished daily;
· Communicate to the Seasonal Coordinator, Waterfront Explorations when supplies
need to be replaced and/or ordered to ensure smooth operation of programs;
· Maintain personal schedule through our Staffing Online portal.
Workplace Health and Safety · All staff are required to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and
that of other personnel (including volunteers and interns) who may be affected by their conduct.
Skills & Requirements
Essential Criteria · A degree in Education or completion of the first of two years in a B.Ed, M.Ed or M.T.
· Interest in obtaining on-the-job experience in Education while teaching outdoors;
· Ability to work with students from all grade levels;
· Creativity and imagination in the development of teaching strategies and
· Enthusiastic, energetic, and able to motivate students;
· Organized and able to remain calm when faced with competing priorities (time,
· Willing and able to work 0-5 days/week for the duration of the contract;
· Able to attend mandatory staff training on the following dates: Saturday April 27th;
Sunday, April 28th; Wednesday, May 1st; Thursday May 2nd
· Able to provide or willing to obtain a Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable
Desirable Criteria · Bilingual;
· Background in the Visual Arts (mixed media or ceramics);
· Background in history, geography, environmental science or sociology.
Some exposure to inclement weather conditions during outdoor Urban Studies programs;
How to Apply:
Acceptable Applications must include:
Qualified Applicants are invited to apply by: March 1, 2019
To apply: E-mail your application Quoting Job Ref. #19J068-WC to:
EDUCATION OFFICER – SCHOOL VISITS
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.
Interpretation Canada c/o Kerry Wood Nature Centre 6300 45th Ave Red Deer, AB, Canada T4N 3M4