As interpreters, we often inhabit the ‘leading edge’—that place where forward momentum blends innovation with novel approaches, where starkly different environments coexist peacefully, where growth feels exciting, yet balanced. Interpreters need to be on this leading edge to keep up with today’s changing world.
Interpretation Canada’s 2023 National Conference (online) explores how living on the leading edge allows us as interpreters to constantly evolve to best meet the needs of our diverse audiences. How do you innovate in your program delivery? What tools do you use? How do you stay inspired and invite others to join you on the leading edge? Join us to explore these questions.
Together with your colleagues, explore how interpreters can thrive—not just survive—on the foremost edge of our profession. They say there is never a crowd on the leading edge but we beg to differ! Interpreters as a group are out in that place of transformation and together we can thrive there.
Here is what your conference fee gets you:
- 18 sessions offered in 9 concurrent time slots, led by your colleagues from across Canada.
- Access to the recordings of all sessions for 90 days after, so you can watch the sessions you missed.
- A dynamic keynote address to kick start the fun—details coming.
- Dialogue with your fellow interpreters after each presentation and panel discussion to talk about the leading-edge ideas and how to incorporate them into your own setting.
- A professional online conference experience through Pheedloop. As our event platform, Pheedloop gives you seamless virtual access to all the sessions, the ability to network with interpreters across the country through real-time chat, plus meetings in real-time, questions, pre-roll videos, speaker portals, file sharing, group meetings, and much more. PheedLoop's native Meet & Stream system provides a streaming option alternative to Zoom.
- The opportunity to participate in Viewing Teams at your workplace. You will save money and increase your fun and learning!
- Three sessions in French – we are hoping to have these sessions live translated into English and the English sessions live translated into French. (Sponsorship funding would help us achieve this goal- hint hint!)
New this year! Get a team together to participate together in the conference—have fun and save money! This could be a great option for smaller sites to be able to participate. During the conference, all Viewing Team registrants are encouraged to be in a room together with one main computer log in for the group. We’ll be offering challenges and games specifically for Viewing Teams, so be ready to compete and support your team and earn your InterpCan bragging rights.
We have an exciting line up of sessions covering leading edge topics!
- How can Parks Canada interpreters live up to our treaty obligations? Lessons learned from a master’s project
- Parliament Past and Present: How to Transform an Interpretive Program for the Future
- Immersive Insights: Enriching Interpretation with Digital Experiences
- Accessing art together: How you can listen to blind and low vision audiences from day one
- Designing for Play: Creating Dialogic Children’s Activity Packs
- ReCollections: How internal and external collaboration helped build an archaeology and history podcast at Parks Canada
- Exploring Interpretive Methodologies that Embrace Two Eyed Seeing Perspectives of the Universe
- Inclusive Horizons: Rebuilding Interpretation in BC Parks
- Leading Edge USA
- Collecting and Sharing Oral History for Online Collections
- Dialogic interpretation at the edge of the Arctic
- Using old and new technologies to tell both old and new stories
- Effective and inclusive questionnaire design for program evaluation
- Collaborate to Innovate
- Museums and Indigenous Peoples
- Plus more in the works!
- Le projet Louis Cyr à la maison a permis de dématérialiser et d’amplifier l’exposition permanente du musée via l’expérience de réalité virtuelle au musée et la visite virtuelle en ligne.
- Explorer le patrimoine des plaines d’Abraham en élucidant des énigmes. Sac de golf, brouette, sac à dos… Des moyens originaux de médiation à découvrir dans ces jeux d'évasion extérieurs inusités!
More session details coming soon.
Interpretation Canada does not offer refunds of registration fees. A registration name change is permitted prior to the conference by submitting a written request to email@example.com.
In extenuating circumstances only (e.g., extreme weather event, illness, death), requests for a partial refund may be considered. Such requests must be submitted in writing with appropriate documentation.
Our conference is organized and run entirely by volunteers! If you would like to get involved with this conference or future ones, or assist Interpretation Canada in other ways, please contact us.
2024 National Conference
Our 2024 National Conference will be face to face. Watch for our location announcement soon and the call for proposals early next year.
Interested in hosting a future conference?
Connect with us on social media!
Please use #InterpCanConf in your conference-related social media posts.